Certificate of Occupancy

Certificate of Occupancy

What is a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O)?

A Certificate of Occupancy is a document issued by the City of Upland Building and Safety Division certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws and indicating that the building is in a condition suitable for occupancy.

Do I need a C of O?

A C of O is required prior to occupying a commercial building or tenant space and prior to starting operations of your business. If you occupy commercial space in the City of Upland, you are required to obtain a C of O. (California Building Code Section 111). Currently, C of O’s are not required for home occupations, salon booth rentals and for businesses that do not occupy any commercial space within the City of Upland.

How do I Get a C of O?

Applicants must submit the Certificate of Occupancy Application via the City of Upland “Citizen Self-Serve” application portal (CSS Portal).  To submit the application, please:

    • Create an account on the CSS Portal. For assistance, please find the "create an account" instructions here.
    • Apply and pay for a "Special Investigation". For assistance, please find submittal instructions here. You are required to submit a floor plan of your building/tenant space with this application.
    • Schedule an inspection. To schedule an inspection, please visit the inspection page here.
    • Once the inspection is approved, please contact the Building and Safety Division at (909) 931-4110 for issuance.

Inspection Preparation

The Building and Safety Division has created a Checklist to assist you in performing a ‘SELF INSPECTION’. The purpose of the checklist is to assist you in preparing your building or tenant space for inspection by the City of Upland Building and Safety Division. The checklist provides a list of items the Building Inspector will inspect.


460 N. Euclid Avenue
Upland, CA 91786
(909) 931-4100

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.