Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003
Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA)
The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) is a federal law that prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual assaults, sexual misconduct, harassment, and retaliation against detainees or prisoners in detention facilities. The Upland Police Department is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and prisoners.
• The Upland Police Department has zero tolerance for sexual assault or abuse of any person or sexual relationships between staff and prisoners
• Prisoners who have non–consensual sexual contact with another prisoner will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
• Employees, contract staff, volunteers and vendors who engage in sexual contact or sexual misconduct with prisoners may be terminated and referred for criminal prosecution when applicable
How to Report a Sexual Assault and/or Staff Sexual Misconduct of a Prisoner
If you are a victim or have information regarding a detainee or prisoner who has been sexually assaulted while in the custody of the Upland Police Department, please call UPD Dispatch: 909-946-7624.
Calls to this number are recorded and the information will be forwarded to the PREA Coordinator.
If you prefer to submit your report in writing, you can complete the Prisoner Sexual Abuse, Assault, and Harassment reporting form and email it to email@example.com
As a third party reporting an incident, you do not need to give your name but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible.
Please include the following:
• The name(s) and locations of persons involved
• The name(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
• A brief description of the incident(s)
• A brief description of where the event(s) occurred
• The date(s), time and place of occurrence(s)
• Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident
• Your contact phone number and address (optional)
If you would like to report an incident through a non-related agency you can contact WeTip at1-800-78-CRIME. Bilingual operators are available to accept reports 24 hours a day.
The Upland Police Department investigates all allegations of offender–on–offender sexual assaults and staff sexual misconduct. Investigations are initiated by the PREA Coordinator.