Weed Abatement

Weed Abatement FAQ

Why have I received an Abatement Notice?

An abatement notice is issued when a violation creating a fire hazard or public nuisance exists on your property. Abatement notices will include a description and photos of the violations observed on your property.  Please note that only violations visible from the public right-of-way are documented in the abatement notice.  However, it is your responsibility to keep the entire property (front yard, side yards, backyards, alleys, etc.) clear of all hazards at all times.

What is an abatement?

An abatement is the reduction and/or removal of fire hazards or nuisances from your property.

Will I be charged if I already cleared the violation and how much?

Property owners will be charged an administrative fee only after a second inspection has been conducted by the City and a Notice of Violation is issued. After 30 days a third inspection will take place.  At this time, if the property remains in violation, an additional administrative fee will be charged against your property.  

How much do Weed Abatement administrative fees and/or Notices of Violation cost?

A current fee schedule outlining the costs of administrative fees and Notices of Violation can be found at http://www.uplandca.gov/finance-services and are subject to change.

Will the City send me an invoice for the removal of any fire hazards or nuisances from my property?

Yes. A detailed invoice outlining the work completed on the property to remove the hazards and nuisances will be sent to the property owner.  If you believe you have received an invoice in error, please contact the Weed Abatement Coordinator at (909) 931-4134.

Is native vegetation subject to the Weed Abatement Ordinance guidelines? 

Yes, all vegetation is subject to the Weed Abatement Ordinance guidelines.

What is defensible space and why is it important.

Defensible space is the landscaped area around a structure that is being maintained and designed to reduce fire danger and damage. To create defensible space on your property, reduce and/or remove fuels such as vegetation, trash, and debris within the first 30 feet from your structure.  Creating a defensible space will aid in creating a clear evacuation route from your property and a barrier to minimize fire damage to your property.

1. Mow or cut grass or ground cover below 4 inches.
2. Prune/Limb trees up from the ground.
3. Remove dead or dying material from all vegetation.
4. Provide spacing between shrubs and plants. The spacing should be at least 3 times the height of the tallest shrub.
5. Remove all debris and outside storage that is not weatherproof.
6. Keep side yards clear so there are additional evacuation routes.

Is the alley adjoining my property my responsibility?

Yes. The person owning, leasing, or occupying or having charge or possession of any property within the city has the responsibility to maintain the alley adjoining their property. Per Upland Municipal Code 12.156.050, the alley must be free and clean of debris, vegetation or any other accumulation which may encroach upon or overhang any public right of way and/or that may impede traffic.

How long must I maintain my property to ensure compliance with the Weed Abatement Ordinance?

Complying with the City’s Weed Abatement Ordinance is a year-round requirement. Inspections are performed throughout the year by the City of Upland’s Weed Abatement Coordinator or the Code Enforcement Division.

How do I know that the City did work on my property?

 A written and photo record of your property at various stages of non-compliance is maintained by City staff.  If abatement is necessary, the landscape contractor will take before and after photos of your property to demonstrate their efforts to bring your property into compliance with the City’s Municipal Code.

Can I request a copy of the Notice to Comply or Abate? 

Yes. Either contact the City’s Weed Abatement Coordinator at (909) 931-4134 or contact the City Clerk’s Office at (909) 931-4120 or UplandCityClerk@uplandca.gov to file a Public Records Request .  Additional information can be found on the City’s website at https:///www.upllandca.gov/claims-and-services -of-legal-documents.

I received a Notice to Comply or Abate although I no longer own my property in Upland. What do I do? 

Please contact the Weed Abatement Coordinator at (909) 931-4134 to notify them of the change in ownership.

How do I report a property in violation with the City Weed Abatement Ordinance?

 From February through July of each year, please contact the City’s Weed Abatement Coordinator at (909) 931-4134 or Code Enforcement Department at (909) 931-4139 anytime thereafter.

How can I get additional information or assistance regarding the specific requirements for my property:

Please visit www.uplandca.gov/weed-abatement or scan the following QR code.


460 N. Euclid Avenue
Upland, CA 91786
(909) 931-4100

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.