Adopt A Park/Trail Program
The Adopt-A-Park/Trail Program has been established for community and civic organizations, as well as private businesses to contribute towards the effort of maintaining beautiful and clean City owned parks and trails in the City of Upland. Upland’s Adopt a Park/Trail Program encourages community residents and organizations to adopt City owned trails and keep them weed and litter free. The adopted areas are to be cleaned at least every 4 weeks in an effort to maintain a healthy environment and to produce feelings of pride in our beautiful City.
Volunteers make a commitment to pick up litter and perform weed abatement at the designated park/trail a minimum of once a month for a one to two year period. Volunteers are encouraged to monitor conditions of their location and report any problems to the City staff members for follow up. There is no cost to participants associated with the program. The City provides all necessary supplies.
- Contact the Adopt-A-Park/Trail Coordinator at the Public Works Department to determine the best park/trail for adoption. Contact at (909) 291-2930 or Rsmiderle@ci.upland.ca.us
- Obtain a copy of the Adoption Packet below or at Public Works Department (located at 1370 N Benson Avenue). Read through the packet and complete all forms. Please note that all forms require a “wet” signature for processing
- Completed forms are then reviewed by the Public Works Department and processed.
- Once the Adopt-A-Park/Trail proposal is approved, the Adopt-A-Park/Trail Coordinator will schedule a time for the group to pick up their supplies for each volunteer. This includes: trash bags, safety vest, and sturdy gloves. The Adopt-A-Park/Trail Coordinator will continue to work with the adopting organization’s lead contract person.
- Following each clean up event, adopting organizations will contact the Adopt-A-Park/Trail Coordinator to send notification as to where the bags of collected trash and bulk items are located. Please allow sufficient time for notification, as the Public Works Department is closed on Fridays and weekends. Please note if your event is scheduled for Thursday or Friday, the earliest trash will be collected is on Monday or Tuesday, unless there is a holiday that falls on a Monday. In that case, the trash may not be collected until Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Following each cleanup event the group’s contact person will submit a Cleanup Report (attached below) detailing the date and location of cleanup, number of volunteer hours and number of trash bags collected, as well as a location for pickup.
- In return for completing scheduled cleanups and Cleanup Reports for the designated area at least every four weeks for a period of one to two years, the groups are recognized with signage located at their designated park/trail, indicating the group’s title that has adopted that area.