Weed Abatement Schedule
The Weed Abatement Program runs from February through July, but fire season is year-round. Please keep your property free of combustible debris and overgrown, unkept weeds and grasses. Please contact your Weed Abatement Coordinator to report fire hazards at (909) 931-4134.
NOTE: the below dates will be updated once the program is approved by City Council.
Upland Municipal Code Chapter 8.12.180 entitled “Weed and Rubbish Abatement-Alternative procedures” and Article 2 of Division 3 of Title 4 of the California Government Code, Section 39560, et seq. (the “Government Code”), authorizes the City to abate and cause removal of weeds and rubbish from any property within the City. The process that the City follows is contained in the Government Code. Once the City Council approves the Resolution, the inspections of all parcels throughout the City will proceed on February 14, 2023. Staff has revised the process to give property owners whose properties have been identified with weeds and/or rubbish, a 15-day period to abate the nuisance before incurring fines. Below is a list of important dates to remember:
- February 13, 2023: City Council to declare nuisances and fire hazards a violation of the City of Upland Municipal Code and authorize staff to begin weed abatement inspections.
- February 14, 2023: First round of weed abatement inspections to begin on parcels located within the city limits.
- March 9, 2023: Courtesy Notices to Comply will be mailed to property owners whose parcels are not in compliance with the City’s Municipal Code. Property Owners are encouraged to comply within the notice within 15 days from the date listed on the Courtesy Notice.
- April 3, 2023: Second round of weed abatement inspections of parcels who received a Courtesy Notice to Comply will begin.
- April 24, 2023: Property owners whose parcels remain in violation with the City’s Municipal Code will be issued Notices to Comply and given 15 days from the 2nd Notice to Comply to bring their properties into compliance. An administrative will be assessed against the property in violation of the City’s Municipal Code.
- May 15, 2023: Third round of weed abatement inspections will begin on properties that were issued a Notice to Comply. An administrative fee will be assessed against the property.
- May 29, 2023: A list of non-compliant parcels will be posted on the City of Upland website and at City Hall.
- June 12, 2023: Property owners wishing to pay their fees and/or fines without further penalty must do so at the Upland City Hall’s Cashiers Desk located at 460 N. Euclid Avenue, Upland, CA before 5:00 p.m.
- June 12, 2023: City Council Meeting to declare non-compliant properties a hazard and order that the city abate nuisance/hazard with costs being placed as a special tax assessment. Property owners wishing to contest their citations must attend the June 12, 2023, City Council Meeting and submit a public comment card.
- June 13, 2023: Required abatement of non-compliant properties begin. Cost to abate property, fines and fees will be charged against the property as a special assessment.
- August 14, 2023: City Council Meeting to approve submittal of all Weed Abatement Invoices to the San Bernardino County Tax Collector.